Monday, January 2, 2012

Dreams

The blog that inspired me to jump on the blogging bandwagon (later than most) is written by Lesley. Here is her latest post.

I have similar feelings, fears and longings rolling about in my mind. I want a simple, happy, peaceful life. For Daniel. For myself and the people closest to us who love us and keep us going. Like Lesley, I don't dream about vacations or having a hot body with a wardrobe fit to kill. It's not that I'm "above" those things, whatever that means. It's just that I have this teenage boy in my life who shifts my perspective and helps me clarify what I really, really want as our experience.

Lesley says this, "I sense that this was all written on her pretty little soul the very first day she came into this world. And my challenge will be to handle it. To deal with it, to make sense of it and to support her in every possible way. Am I am fearful? Yes. It makes me anxious, yes. But mostly it makes me sad. And more determined than ever to make every day a good day for Sarah, as best as it can be. I live in the moment, because her future isn't looking too hot."

She writes that Sarah is losing some of her skills, and without a diagnosis, Lesley isn't sure what the future holds in terms of prognosis.

Because of Daniel I have so many people in my life who deal with uncertainty, with more unknowns than most parents. True, none of us knows what twists and turns our lives will take. Not many people plan on cancer or life altering accidents. But this ride is different. If you aren't on it, I can't really fully explain the experience. It's something you have to live.

I do know that having a community of friends who "get it" makes all the difference. I thank you all. I'm ready to do it again in this New Year, this circa 2012. Here's to it!

4 comments:

Angela said...

Living with several disabilities myself, I can't say, "I get it." You are brave, my dear. I, for one, am looking forward to meeting and becoming close to Daniel. He is blessed to have you. I want to be one of the support symptoms in your life.
Angela

Carolyn said...

Thanks, Angela! I can't wait to to see you guys!!

Phil Dzialo said...

We also enter the new year celebrating life and embracing all the friendships which we have developed over the past year. This sustains us. We too have no needed diagnosis, just a myriad of physical challenges. We have no dreams of vacations, possessions or goods...having life sustain itself is simply enough. I honor your challenge, I "get" your challenge...I wish you the strength to continue your journey with courage, with equanimity and with the deep knowledge that the universe will give us the necessities to make a difference. Warm blessing to Daniel and your wonderful family.

Elizabeth said...

I am so glad that I've gotten to "know" you through blogging and hope that one day we might actually meet. Thank you for all your kindness, your warm comments and support. May 2012 be a better year for all of us --