Monday, January 9, 2012

Blue Monday

I wasn't at work very long this morning when I got one of the calls I don't like. It was Rich on the phone telling me Daniel was in the middle of a big seizure. His care provider was also still there, and this is the first time she's seen him seize.

I told Rich where the Diastat was (they already knew, but in times like these it's good to have the emergency response mom on the phone giving directions). I was talking to him while Rita gave it, and listened while he described the shaking and unresponsiveness.

My principal was at my door needing someone to help with a parent whose kid has ringworm. I got off the phone and talked to her and let the parent know what to do. Then I called my most wonderful boss, a nurse who cared for her autistic sister for many years. She found a float nurse to replace me right away.

In between calling a parent whose kid just vomited, and giving a few routine meds, I touched base with Rich to make sure Daniel was alright. He was sleeping in Rita's arms.

Within an hour of Daniel's seizure, I was back home. He's crying a little off and on and resting. He doesn't have a fever or any other signs of illness, so I'm pretty sure he may have lost some Topamax at some point (he likes to spit it out, and I'm not always super-diligent about checking his mouth after he takes it).

He's lying beside me now and seems pretty calm. I'll give some extra Topamax today and hope that this is the last of the Big Shakes for a long time.

I'm lucky I have an understanding boss, a great care provider and a husband who knows what to do. Still, I'm gonna eat a crispy English muffin with lots of jelly and wallow a little. It is Monday, after all.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

How about adding some butter to that muffin, with the jelly?

I'm sorry to hear of Daniel's seizure. It never gets easier.

Carolyn said...

It was actually slathered in it, Elizabeth. I almost ate two...

Phil Dzialo said...

I'm happy that the seizure resolved and he ended in your're loving hands...could the seizure have been precipitated by a lot of New Year's late night partying with mom? LOL...today will hopefully be easier.

Most of my comfort foods are not a function of calories but of % proof...

Carolyn said...

Could be, Phil! Dan stayed up late the entire holiday and was pretty much a party animal.