Monday, May 7, 2012

Respite

I spent part of the weekend at a labyrinth meditation retreat near my home. It's been too long since I've gotten away like this and it was way overdue.




.
It was World Labyrinth day, and our group walked "as one at one" in the afternoon. Afterwards, I sat near the river by myself for a long time. I dozed a little, too.

The breeze, the water, the stillness and the supermoon were what I needed this weekend.

I'm home now. Daniel and my husband are both sick. I left work early to pick up my boy and laid beside him all afternoon while his stomach ailed him. Having that bit of respite is making it easier to not just deal with life, but find things to be grateful for even in the middle of cleaning up vomit.

For one, I have a boss who understands and appreciates me enough to not make me feel guilty for having to leave work early. It's not always been that way. My basic nature is that of a  homebody, so taking care of my sickly men is not something that I resent. I'm thankful to be aware that what might appear to be a drag is just life on life's terms. I don't have to resist it. It's important not to.









3 comments:

Phil Dzialo said...

Every moment that we get to re-gain our "center" is a gift and lifeline..I suppose it allows us to view the future with a renewed vigor. You were blessed to have this small opportunity for grace....

Elizabeth said...

I'm glad you had a chance for some restoration. I've walked meditation labyrinths before and found it a wonderful release and practice. Feel better, men in your life!

Carolyn said...

I'd never walked one before, Elizabeth. It was really good for me. I'm going to scope out more of them in town so that I can do it more often.

Phil, it's so true that we need to recharge. I'm amazed at how we all keep going without it. I can really tell a difference having made myself do it!