Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Communal Living

I've been researching the idea of disability communes, aka intentional communities, since a couple of posts ago. I sort of like the idea at noahsarkflorida.org (links aren't working right now, sorry), but it's designed for families whose kids have mild to moderate developmental disabilities. I would love to see something for those of us whose kids are in the severe range.

I'm wondering who else out there would be interested in a living arrangement that includes entire families who have a severely disabled minor or adult child. I'm envisioning something like a large area of land, maybe several acres, with separate cottages and possibly a common area for meals.

Does this ring anyone's bell, or do I need to get my head outa the clouds?

4 comments:

Phil Dzialo said...

No head in the cloud, the reality exists in several locations in the country. I have always had an interest. The present life is overwhelming; the prospect of te future is something we are frightened to think about. Reality is we're stuck where we are...not a bad place near the ocean in a great town and a house that we have modified in every way possible. I do love the concept and wish I were a bit younger...the future is scary.

Elizabeth said...

Sign me up. Just make sure it's not too cold in the winter! Have you looked at the L'Arche communities? Impossible to get into but admirable --

Sharon Dzialo said...

I've been thinking, Carolyn. People usually roll their eyes when I say that. Yes, we are settled here in our home and, yes, my husband, dearest Philip, would prefer NOT to ever leave BUT my fantasy would be to leave Massachusetts for the winter months, perhaps gather in a warmer climate with some like-minded folks. Winter can be harsh and the thought of looking forward to meeting up with families with similar challenges - Just a thought but I would love to actualize it. Warm regards, Sharon

Carolyn said...

It WOULD be great to have a winter getaway, Sharon! I have a friend in Maine who is thinking of starting a retreat center up there for families of kids with disabilities, and she asked if I'd be interested in having the Florida version for the winter months.

Elizabeth, I love L'Arche! I would like something along those lines, but for entire families.

Phil, I hear ya on fear of the future. I want to try to ensure that younger folks have the love for Daniel that will make caring for him just a part of life, not work.