Friday, December 16, 2011

Thank you, Mission: iPossible!

When I started this blog my first entry was about communication. We were beginning to try a new picture system in school last spring, and I posted some photos of Daniel attempting to use it.

The picture book turned out to be too complicated and cumbersome. Even I, with somewhat normal dexterity, had trouble finding the page and picture I was looking for. We bagged it.

Then we started private speech and language therapy. Daniel's therapist suggested an iPad. Hmmmm. The cost of one is pretty steep. I told Dan's dad to save any Christmas or birthday money he receives for him (Daniel will be thirteen on the 23rd) and that I would do the same. I figured we might be able to pool enough to buy him one for his birthday/Christmas present.

Then I stumbled upon a blog that was giving away iPads. It's over here: Mission: iPossible

I entered. There was a two week wait, after which a random generator picked two winners.

And...you guessed it! Daniel won! I'm very excited about the potential that the communication apps have for him. It's also really good to end the year on a positive note like this.

Thanks, Ken, Heather and Mission: iPossible! Stay tuned for stories and pictures of Mr. D and his new state of the art communication tool!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Well, that is terrific! I am so excited for you. Stay tuned for an upcoming webinar in January that I'm organizing/moderating through the Epilepsy Foundation and Project Access. We're having a national expert on AAC and, particularly, the iPad, as our speaker.

Congrats, again, for you and Daniel!

Carolyn said...

Thanks, Elizabeth. I will be looking forward to the webinar! I need to find out more about the available apps. I'm so excited, I almost spilled the news to Daniel when he got home today!

Phil Dzialo said...

Congratulations...I'm sure it will provide Daniel with many hours hours of positive and helpful interaction...