Monday, June 13, 2011

Summer Time!

Our last day of school was Friday, so today is the official start of summer for us. It was so nice to get up the lazy way today! Daniel and I were the first ones up at about 7:45. He played, I drank coffee, talked to my mom on the phone, then we went for a walk.

Saturday we attended a L'Arche carnival fundraiser at Christ the King Church. I've made a commitment to myself to become involved with the L'Arche community this year, and I started there. I met the director, a few of the core members, and some assistants. I plan to attend First Thursday mass followed by dinner in a different home as often as I can starting in September. We did this once before, and in checking old emails, I discovered it's been six years!

Reading 'The Boy in the Moon' inspired me to get involved with L'Arche in a deeper way. I don't know if Daniel will ever live apart from me, but if he does, I'd like it to be in one of these communities where life together is about friendship, not the typical caregiver-patient arrangement.

We went swimming again Saturday evening. He's really getting used to the new suit with the flotation, and had a great time splashing. He enjoyed that more than the heat of the carnival.

He and I have three weeks off followed by summer school together. I'll be working and he'll be attending a different school (different from both his and my usual schools) for three and a half weeks. It's a center school, meaning all of the students have disabilities. I spent a day of orientation there last month, and I was impressed with the atmosphere. It will be good to be exposed to different therapists and teachers. I'm hoping we'll both learn some new tricks to make life more interesting!

It's good to have a break from the usual grind. Yay summer!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love reading about L'Arche, although I've never actually visited one. I'm not sure if there's one here in California -- please keep us posted on your own visits!

Carolyn said...

I certainly will, Elizabeth! There aren't many of them in the States, I'll have to check on Cali.