Sunday, June 26, 2011

Lava Lamps and Tie Dye

Daniel's caregiver is in the process of making his room more of a sensory den for him. She bought a black light, lava lamps, and glow-in-the-dark stars. As mentioned in the last post, I am trying to find new music for him to divert the hands from his mouth, and one thing that works is drumming. Santana was a hit, but since I don't have any of it on CD yet, he's been jamming to Michael Jackson all weekend.

To complete what's turning into a seventies theme, we tie dyed shirts yesterday. Daniel's turned out the best in green, yellow and blue. He is LOVING his cool digs, but as you can see from the picture below, he's not ready to give up the hand habit just yet.


He's been very calm and happy the past few days, and I believe the glowing sensory additions in his room have helped. Since I've not been feeling well, it helps when he's able to play and be entertained by his surroundings. I feel anxious when I'm sick and I don't have the energy to take him for walks or get his AFO's on for some exercise. He's been ok with it all.

Tomorrow we start the countdown to summer school for both of us. I can't say I'm looking forward to getting us both up, ready, and downtown by 8 a.m. The past few weeks have been heaven. Sleeping in, no schedule...we have both loved it. I may have to spend some time gazing at stars in his room, giving myself pep talks before July 5th. For now, let the drums keep rolling!

No comments: