Sunday, November 27, 2011

Life on Life's Terms

Thanksgiving week was eventful. My parents pulled into town last Sunday, and we laughed and sang the night away (dad's hooked on internet Karaoke, which I am becoming quite attached to myself).

The next day after work I came home to find that Rich's temperature climbed to almost 104. We rushed to the ER and five hours later came home with a diagnosis of early pneumonia and a prescription for heavy hitting antibiotics which we ended up paying a hefty price for since he's in the "donut hole" with his medicare coverage right now. Finally, six days later he's regaining strength.

Thanksgiving dinner was good. Not great, because my man wasn't able to partake of any food at all. His throat (original cancer site) is very sore and I'm worried. Just last week he was eating roast beef and mashed potatoes! Now we're back to square one nutrition wise. I'm hoping it's just a set-back related to the pneumonia and coughing.

Daniel and Melody are happy. Whenever grandma and grandpa are here life is as it should be. We all enjoy each other so much, and it makes the dark stuff seem a little lighter. My mom helped her pick out a gorgeous red dress for her upcoming piano recital, while I stayed home and rested. The weather is mild, and Daniel is spending lots of time going on walks and soaking up the sunshine.

I usually put the Christmas tree up the day after Thanksgiving, but I'm waiting this year. I'm too tired and just not up to speed with my usual holiday happiness level. I'll get there, I know (pray) I will. Just not yet.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Carolyn, I've missed you -- and I'm happy to hear that your holiday was a good one. I'm sorry to hear, though, that your husband is ailing and I do hope you can get some rest and relief at some point. The photo of you up top is adorable. You and your boy are beautiful with all that light in your eyes. Be well.

Carolyn said...

That photo was taken on Thanksgiving a few years back at a friend's house. It really captures his sweetness. Most of the time he hides his face or frowns as soon as he sees the camera!

Thanks for letting me know I was missed, Elizabeth! I've been following your posts and loving them as usual!

Phil Dzialo said...

The picture really captures a glowing brilliance of soul and an incredible sparkle of the eyes.
Holidays are always hard for us, so I am so happy that your were ok ... ok is good. I hope that your hubby gets on the mending track and issues dissolve away. Will send our positive energies your way...I can't get away from the acknowledgement of Daniel's sparkle and energy which emanates from him!

Carolyn said...

Thank you, Phil. It's funny. Yesterday I tried and tried to get a good pic of Dan and me, but he just wouldn't smile.

Then, last night when he saw his young, blonde speech therapist he lit up like a Christmas tree! I even took two pictures with my camera phone it was so funny.

I am sending you all much love as well. Give Adam a high five from me!