Sunday, October 23, 2011

My Solace

I firmly believe that nature brings solace in all troubles. ~ Anne Frank


I agree. Today was a beautiful, sunny, invigorating fall day. I spent it with Melody and Daniel at the zoo.


After months of chemo, radiation, CT scans and surgeries, Rich got good news last week. He still has to have a PET scan in December, but for now it looks like the treatment is doing it's job. The cancer in his throat is gone, and the lymph nodes in his neck that were affected are shrinking (and will continue to do so according to the oncologist). I am thankful.

So today I took some of that "take care of yourself" advice that I've ignored since July, and spent it with two of my favorite people on earth. My kids. Rich still isn't strong enough for a big outing like this, and truthfully, he'd rather watch football. So, as we have for so many years thus far, the three of us ventured out and had a really beautiful day together.

Time for me to hit the pillow now. I should sleep well tonight!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What wonderful news. I am so happy to hear it -- and to see you out and enjoying the day.

Phil Dzialo said...

I am overjoyed at the news that life events appear to be resolving for the best. I so agree with the acceptance of the solace of nature...I share one of my favorite quotes:

And this, our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything.
William Shakespeare

Blessings and warmth...

Carolyn said...

I love the quote, Phil, thank you. It was so nice to be carefree for a day again! Elizabeth, I have a follow-up to the friends post to share with you. Hopefully I'll get to it this weekend. Here's to more days in the sun!