Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Happy New Year! School, that is...

We’re back in school. Daniel started 7th grade with a new teacher, one who comes with high recommendations from people in the know. Two of his best friends are in the same class, and the three boys have known one another since pre-school. I love that he has this continuity in his life.

Melody is a high school sophomore. This year she’s taking her first sign language course and is thinking about eventually majoring in special education. My step-daughter Cena is minoring in sign language in college, after studying it in high school as well. Looks like we'll have plenty of interpreters at our house! Me, I’m in year two as the diabetes clinic nurse at a local elementary school.

The final week before the new school year was crazy. Rich was hospitalized for three days for what was intended to be an outpatient procedure. He now sports a peg tube for feeding until the radiation to his throat is done, and he’s able to swallow food. What a ride this is! Getting everything sorted out with various doctors and case managers proved to be an ulcer-worthy experience. That part is behind us, though, and I’m thankful he’s home.

Daniel scared me by waking up sick on Saturday. It turned out to be an ear infection, and 24 hours of antibiotics returned him to normal. I don’t like to turn to the big guns automatically, but this time it was a no-brainer. Husband with stage 4 cancer, getting chemo and radiation = quick elimination of all potential infectors.

Last year when I inherited my new job, there was a prayer left taped to the wall by the nurse who preceded me. I read it every morning.

‘May today there be peace within. May you trust that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith in yourself and others. May you use the gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you. May you be content knowing you are a child of God. Let this presence settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is here for each and every one of us.’ ~Saint Therese of Lisieux

Amen!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love that prayer of St. Therese and thank you for posting it. I will continue to keep you, your husband and son in my own thoughts and prayers. I wish that we lived closer to one another and I'd come sit with you a bit --

Carolyn said...

Me too, Elizabeth, I'd love to have some coffee talk with you!

Phil Dzialo said...

Yes, it's quite a ride but I sense a great fortitude that I am sure will sustain you on the journey. Your family are in our thoughts and wishes for better and better days....quickly.