Saturday, July 9, 2011

It can all change on a dime

Daniel and I made it through the first week of summer school. Both of us were jittery, and it took time to adjust to getting up so early again. I was my usual neurotic bundle of nerves the first two days while I learned a whole new routine with different students, lots of tube feedings, meds, and all new people. Everyone who has worked there before told me he and I would both love it, but of course I had my doubts. They were right (my friends, that is, not my inner doubts).

Just as the week wound down to a close, though, everything changed. Our world was rocked big-time. My sweet man who I just celebrated one year of marriage to was diagnosed with throat cancer. We don't know the full extent yet; the results will be in on Monday. To say I'm shocked, numb, scared, freaked...those words just, well, they don't seem to pack the right punch for what's going on in me right now.

Everyone who knows me knows that I've always been open to alternatives but I don't balk at traditional treatments. So, the best thing I can find for my hands to do right now (besides ordering the smokeless cigarettes for him that are on their way now), is research and use the tools I have to help boost his immune system. I also ask that everyone remember him in their prayers, drum circles, meditations, whatever positive energy path you employ!

This is one hurdle we've not had to jump before. We're gonna need more than a few friends to help boost us over.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I am so sorry not to have read this sooner. You are in my thoughts and prayers and alternative thinkings. Love and blessings to you both --

Carolyn said...

Thanks, Elizabeth. He had all of his teeth pulled yesterday in preparation for radiation. We can certainly use all the prayers we can get. Exciting times!