Saturday, March 19, 2011

Welcome!

This is my first blog. For a few years I kept up a website, danielsgift.com, and wrote essays and interviewed other parents of kids with special needs for a section I called, appropriately, Parent Profiles. My last note was in May 2007 when I wrote about trying to get a communication program going for Daniel. It's hard to believe that four years have passed, and even harder to imagine that he's twelve years old!
 
In true synchronistic timing, I started this blog the day that Daniel's first communication book came home from school with him. I don't know why it took so long. Between workshops on communication techniques, many emails between myself and assistive technology, SLPs and teachers, there has been a lot of communicating about communication. We finally have what is essentially a picture exchange system (PECS).

Looks like both Daniel and I will be communicating differently. I'm finally moving over to the blogosphere, and he has a handy dandy workbook. We're in sync, at least!    
    

4 comments:

Linda said...

I am really excited about this, Carolyn!

Carolyn said...

Thanks, Linda!

Rachel said...

Looks good, Carolyn. Here's to communication.

Gwen said...

SO PROUD of you for getting this going (and thanks for the props, too!)... you have SO much to share with the world -- namely, your amazing boy! LOVE YOU GUYS! Looks great so far!!!!!!

xoxoox Gwen